Are you Beautiful?

Monday, March 26, 2007

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Jesse came home last week with something he made from his art and craft session at kindi. It was a necklace made from pastas! It was beautiful, at least to me. It was even more beautiful as he puts it around his neck proudly to parade his very own creation.



Funny how something so simple can be so beautiful and meaningful.

Talking about beauty, I was told by a friend that adults' perception of beauty is often prejudiced and distorted by "external factors". I have a friend, Foo, he has this thing for girls with long hair. Any girl with long straight hair would be beautiful to him. And any woman, it could be a Kylie Minogue look alike, with that short hair would be yukkie to him. I used to date Richard who likes girls with really short hair, apparently that gives him the adrenaline rush, but that same beautiful girl would be appalling to Foo.

Anyway back to beauty, according to my friend Luc, babies from the age of 6 months old are the best judge of beauty as their perception of beauty is unbais and untainted by prejudicial preferences or "external factors". Wanna know if you are good looking? If a 6 months old baby stares at you longer than usual with approval, it is good news. If he yells with disgust....sorry, bad news.

Back to the pasta necklace, I am fully aware that my judgments were clouded. Anything that Jesse does would be beautiful to me. If it were made by some other kid, then it would be a different story. Some call it prejudice, I call it love.

Posted by Mae at 1:42 PM  

7 comments:

March 26, 2007 at 7:18 PM
Anonymous said...

Yeah. LOL. I guess it's a good sign that any kid who sees me didn't run and hide. Some let me carry also - so I guess I am okay, despite thinking otherwise all the time. Hahahah!

  March 26, 2007 at 10:30 PM
ET said...

Hey...kids always smile and chuckle when they see me. Dunno why. I'm not bragging about it but maybe I looked like a clown to them! Is it possible? Hahaha.

  March 27, 2007 at 7:31 AM
Gwendolynne said...

Wow is he going to be metrosexual? Rockage ^_^

  March 27, 2007 at 9:06 PM
Mae said...

Yes Gina, good sign :)

Hehe Eunise, no lah, that means you have a likeable face. In fact Jesse cries when he sees a clown :)

No lah Gwen, don't think he is metro. Just that he had no choice, necklace part of the subject....then again he seemed to love it.

  March 30, 2007 at 12:14 AM

I read a research done on babies, somewhere sometime ago...that on their first sight, if they were presented with 2 images, 1 ugly, 1 beautiful, they will automatically reach out to the one that is beautiful...so there you go...don't need to wait till 6 months :)

  April 3, 2007 at 3:15 PM
Mae said...

Hi Imageoncall, so nice to finally hear from you....welcome to the blogsphere:)

  April 4, 2007 at 9:22 PM
MJ said...

Thought babies & small children think pretty = good smell? When I showed my braces to my friend's baby, he didn't cry. Guess I look ok with braces hehe

 

Post a Comment