Chinese Medication for Coughs

Friday, January 26, 2007

I hate coughs. I used to think having a sore throat is the worst among the "flu" package, until I caught this bout of cough from James. It is really bad, I've been coughing for over a week. I took the doctor's medication, it got worse. I can hardly talk. Even taking a deep breath irritates the throat resulting in a horrible outburst of lengthy chesty coughs and yes, my chest hurts too.

Anyway, I took some advise from Kelvin who have had some bad coughing experiences like the "100-day cough" and the "oldman or smoker's cough". He recommended me to get some really good homemade "Pei Pah Ko" from Fook Cheong Sea Foods & Medical Trading from Centre Point, Bandar Utama. I got a bottle for RM22. The normal ones like "Ubat Batuk Cap Ibu & Anak" are much cheaper, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that Kelvin is right.

Also I asked for "Lam Hang Pak Hang" to go with the "Pei Pah Ko". I think I got slaughtered there. One serving costs me RM20. This is my first time buying chinese medication from a medical hall and I am totally clueless when it comes to the prices of dried sea horses, dried rhino horns, dried frogs, ginsengs and etc...

Also the "sifu" advised me to lay off chicken (all forms including eggs), bananas, oranges and ice. I've got a confession to make, the reason why the cough has been lingering for such a long time is due to my love for chewing ice. Looks like sacrifices have to be made now before I get an infection (that's when the phlegm turns greenish).

In the meantime, I'll stay in doors and keep the germs to myself lest I start infecting some unsuspecting innocent person.

Posted by Mae at 7:51 AM  

6 comments:

January 26, 2007 at 2:48 PM
jujuqtpie said...

Oh dear, not the cough. I am like you, totally hate cough and the discomfort that comes with it. 100 day cough, had it. Been there. But I have discovered Himalaya brand ayurvedic medication and I have been using a few of its products. Must have at home is the cough drop. Recently, my kids had the cough and I slipped it into their milk and they stopped coughing at night, and stopped coughing altogether after about 4 to 5 days. I am also using Tulasi for my throat. 2 capsules a day. I had sore throat for months and the last month, I couldn't sleep at night because my throat felt like it was on fire. It was horrible. But, by the time I was quarter way through the bottle, my voice came back and my throat stopped hurting. So yeah, I'd recommend Himalaya brand and the cough drop isn't that expensive nor is it drowsy. Cap ibu dan anak is though. I remember back in uni, i couldn't study at all coz I kept sleeping due to the medication.

if you want natural remedy, mix some honey and lemon juice, don't add water. When i was pregnant, that was what i took, though i didn't know at that time, you were not supposed to add water. :)

  January 26, 2007 at 5:36 PM
5xmom.com said...

Haiyor, now only I know this blog is mrsloopymeals! LOL, I have long notice powderpuffmae and thought some 16 yrs lenglui's blog so I never dare to kepoh by coming. Hehehe. Going to add to the blogroll.

  January 26, 2007 at 10:44 PM
Anonymous said...

Well, I dunno about "pei pah kou" but it's not good for "leong kat". Especially when your phelgm is greenish, it's confirmed cold cough. I think you better see a doc, or I can recommend a senseh at Kepong. Take care.

  January 27, 2007 at 12:33 PM
~Tiramisu~ said...

Try Breacol. It works for me. In the mean time, guess you gotta watch your food intake until the cough goes off. No ice cubes! Haha

Anyway, take care n get well soon! :)

  January 27, 2007 at 2:52 PM
Anonymous said...

aiya...anywhere u go in bandar utama..sure slaughter one!!! You go to Mega Herbs in Taman Megah next time. (it's located next to the big parking lot) It's a subsidiary of the famous (cheap) fah lian in OUG. so..the prices r quite reasonable!

  January 29, 2007 at 10:13 AM
Mae said...

Thanks jujqtpie for your recommendations. Actually I give Jesse the multi-vit from Himalayan brand as well, apparantly India's medical technology is very advanced, according to my pharmacist.

Hi 5xmom, thanks for visiting. Wah 16 year old lenglui ah, haha very "pai seh" la

I think you are right Gina. I cut off PPK and cough getting abit better now.

Yes Tiramisu, I've been a good girl, no chicken, citrus fruits and ice for 1 week already :(

Mott, some people just have to learn the hard way, sigh. Will try the one in Tmn Megah the next time, thanks :)

 

Post a Comment