Choosing the right bra

Sunday, January 7, 2007

I used to have problems wearing under-wired bras. They don't fit properly. The wires kept digging into my chest and the pain was excruciating. I gave up on under-wired bras and started wearing the "grandma" bras without those horrid wires. They were comfortable but comfort came with a price obviously. They just don't give you the shape, support and umph. Plus I feel so unsexy wearing them. And after a few more washes it turned dimply. Bras are supposed to enhance and accentuate our God given assets. Even the less endowed women can now have her desired curves, if worn correctly. So my grandma bras just weren't doing it for me.


Bra with the wrong cut that causes "digging-in"

So I decided to go bra shopping at Metrojaya. I went to the Wacoal counter and asked if they had grandma bras and the salesgirl just gave me that look...as if I am some lost cause fashion faux pas. They didn't sell grandma bras. So I moved along to XIXILI. I asked the same question but this woman, my saviour she was God sent. She somehow knew her mission was to save this poor soul from the eternal damnation of grandma bras. She asked me "why do you wear that kind of bra, you are still so young. Tell me what your problem is". This woman I LIKE. I poured out my problems to her about the "digging-in" like a helpless baby. "You are wearing the wrong bra, let me show you which one is the right bra for you and next time just buy this cut. It will fit you" said my saviour. "By the way what is your bra size?", she asked. This question took me by surprise cos I wasn't sure but I was sure the cup size should be A cup. Without hesitating and also to save me from further embarrassment she just took a measuring tape and measured my boobs. "You are a B!" she said. "I'm a B?? Are you sure?" I couldn't believe I had grown one cup larger. Thanks to child birth, breast feeding and hormonal changes. But I could be wrong, read here.


The right cut for me. Right fitting bras are comfortable and gives the body the desired curves

I went to the fitting room and my saviour asked if I knew how to wear a bra. Come on, I've been wearing bras since puberty but she insisted that she should come into the fitting room to show me how it should be done. Now that felt really weird. Apparently I was supposed to lean forward 90 degrees to my legs, then fasten. Wriggle slightly side to side to get boobs centered into the cup. Then stand up. Then my saviour put her hands into the bra to push my breast from the side to the centre of the cup so that my bosom sat nicely into the cup. "See how nice they are now" she said with beaming pride. Honestly they do look great. So I got a few more from her.

That day, I walked out of Metrojaya, still a little embarrassed by the whole incident but I walked with my head held high knowing that I will never ever wear those grandma bras ever again and those wicked, sexy new push up bras, my husband will LIKE. And the promotion to B cup, real cool.

Posted by Mae at 5:01 PM  

17 comments:

January 7, 2007 at 10:16 PM
Anonymous said...

the next time you go bra shopping, invite me! =)

  January 7, 2007 at 10:16 PM
Unknown said...

interesting experience

of coz i'm happier (in that sense) being a guy ;)

err... grats

(now lets hope i dont get branded as some sick stalker perv for commenting on this...)

  January 7, 2007 at 10:53 PM
Wildflower said...

Mae,
Next time you go bra shopping tell me also.. I have lots of problems with my bra.. recently went to Sogo, Year End Sale.. Saw some bra's that were at 39.90 going for 11.90, thought I'd get a couple they were wired and padded.. big big mistake , I look like I've got implants now. Where do you reckon I get good bra's ?

  January 8, 2007 at 9:26 AM
RyeUrn said...

i've got to get my wife to read this:)

  January 8, 2007 at 9:53 AM
Anonymous said...

hee hee.... glad u found out the tricks to bra shopping..not as easy it looks! the designs are only there to confuse you!

  January 8, 2007 at 11:54 AM
Mae said...

Hahaha I seriously don't think it's a good idea_ earth :p

Stev, a treat for you guys lol. Now you know where to go if you intend to go bra shopping for your other half ;)

Ok wildflower will inform you if I do go bra shopping. But if you get the cut as shown in the 2nd photo, it should do the trick, subtle yet sexy.

Ryeurn - Hehe, now you also know what to get her and where to go, those people at XIXILI are really helpful.

Yes Mott, had to go through some "pai seh" moments to find out what suits me.

  January 8, 2007 at 3:39 PM
Anonymous said...

I forwarding yr blog to my wife. Good tip.

  January 8, 2007 at 5:03 PM
Mae said...

Glad to be able to help josh

  January 8, 2007 at 11:18 PM
Anonymous said...

Hi Mae Ling,

I have the same problems with underwired bra...always make me feel like I can't breathe!I end up wearing sports bra, especially now that I'm breastfeeding and my assets really need extra support...and with Josh telling me every now and then that they're sagging!

I'll be dropping by at XIXILI since I'm working in Mid Valley now. Thanks.

Will try your Echinachea tip too & what was ever wrong with your skin? There was hardly ever anything on it...u sure it's that Dr Seager?

YOu make me feel like blogging too...

WIll visit again.

Take care & have u seen Zoe on Josh's website?

Amy

  January 8, 2007 at 11:38 PM
Anonymous said...

wow. didn't know there's a way to wearing bra - bend over 90 degrees, wiggle side to side. :)

i usually have problem in buying bra since er... i'm rather flat chested (airport chest they said. haha). the smallest cup also sometimes don't fit me! and trouble is that i'm fat all round. a size 32 might fit me (the cup) but it would be too tight when i hook it up, whereas a size 38 would be just nice (not tight) to fit me all round but the cup would be too big! dilemma!

perhaps i should, like one of my friend 'custom-made' the bra strap... i.e. extend it a bit longer myself. :)

  January 9, 2007 at 6:10 PM
Anonymous said...

The right cut makes a world of difference! I find the sexiest bras are the half cup ones with lace edgings.

  January 9, 2007 at 7:02 PM
Mae said...

THanks AMy for dropping by. Actually I went into his site by accident. Yes I have seen Zoe, lovely girl. Aiya, all these while I have been using makeup to hide all the flaws mah...now no need already la. Come join us blog, it'll be good!

Lucia, you shd just go to XIXILI or any place where they give you the proper attention and advise. Make sure they measure and recommend the right cut for you. You'll know when you try it on.

Caprice, agree with you, the half cuts are "wicked"

  January 11, 2007 at 4:08 PM
PaulOS said...

Ha ha .. i read this for obvious reasons.. hahaha.. just curious..

now i know the finer aspects bra selection.. not that i wear them.. but just for.. err umm.. knowledge-sake.. :D

  January 11, 2007 at 11:32 PM
Mae said...

Ya Paulos I believe you...hehe Always good to learn something new.

  January 12, 2007 at 11:42 PM
Anonymous said...

hmm, u never watch that HK movie about bra designers starring louis koo?

the part about the correct way to wearing a bra was like a revelation =D

  January 16, 2007 at 4:52 PM
Unknown said...

YES! I can rber ur bras.... ALL also can fight with mum's and ama's ones, hahaha.
Thk God, u've discovered nice bras. Next time La Senza got nice wan, i let u know.
Rber : Get either darn thick.... or darn thin.... :D

  January 16, 2007 at 8:25 PM
Mae said...

justsurfedon - trying to cut down on TVBs. Good to know that you've learnt something.

The later ones were worse, candace. Will wait for La Senza sale then.

 

Post a Comment