Eyeliner Embroidery - To do or not to do

Wednesday, January 3, 2007

I come from a family of vain pots. My grandmother had cosmetic surgery done to her eyes for double eye lids, so did my aunt. One of my relative went through a life threatening surgery to have her jaws sawed and shortened to look beautiful.

I recall grandmother telling me that it was perfectly fine to be vain (or in hokkien, "ai swee") after all God created everything beautifully and He loves beauty. Infact, she insisted that I should be "ai swee". She was quite creative to come up with this rationale to support her quest for vanity. Anyway lately my mother has been pestering me to get my eyes done. It has something to do with having eyeliner embroidery or tattoo done to the eyes. It all started when she had eyebrow embroidery done and she totally loved them. By some strange reason she some how felt rather strongly that I needed semi permanent eyeliners drawn on my eyes, well her rationale "with the tattoo or embroidery you never have to use the eyeliner on the eyes. You will get wrinkles around the eyes whenever you draw on your eyes and when you wash them off because you will be pulling the skin around the eyes". Then she will go on and on about aunty Veronica, Betty and etc... all look so nice. To be honest, they all look scary to me.

What can I say?? It is not the pain that I am worried about, it is "the look" that freaks me out. I know of many aunties who have tattooed the eyes and everywhere, it looks really disgusting after a decade or two, the black or brown eventually turns grey or grayish green. Just imagine when I am 70, old and wrinkly but I still have that faded tattoo around my eyes and brows.

At this moment, the answer is still "NO", however my cousin did mention that embroidery can look really nice on certain eyes......

10 comments:

January 4, 2007 at 9:10 AM
rheiboy17 said...

there's nothin wrong with enhancing physical appearance, but at the end of the day, "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder" - little prince (exupery)
uh, yah, i had my english professor back in college with eyebrow tattoo - it looks weird once your skin gets soggy (it catches your attention rather than listening to her lecture) is that similar to eyeliner embroidery though (sorry, i have no idea what it is)

  January 4, 2007 at 10:00 AM
Anonymous said...

ah...this is a big No-No for me. Imagine, if the beautician already cannot get my eyebrows tweazed right...what makes u think they'll do a good job on the err...tattoo?

Just draw yourself la...or ask James... ;-)

  January 4, 2007 at 2:32 PM
Mae said...

rheiboy17 - I was told that embroidery gives a softer look and it is not permanant, it goes off after sometime. I do not want to be the centre of attention for the wrong reasons:)

Ya tattooing can be scary Mott. You know mothers can be quite set in their ways, she still insists that drawing the eyeliner on eyes will cause wrinkles!!

  January 4, 2007 at 3:13 PM
PP said...

I've seen too many old ladies with blue tattooed eyebrows and eyeliner to convince me I don't need it. I think I"ll stick to drawing lol... :)

  January 4, 2007 at 3:36 PM
Anonymous said...

For Christ's sake, you look very (extremely!) good and there is nothing you must do to improve yourself. Me - on the other hand look so crappy also I never consider any plastic surgery. So please lah. Don't listen to them.

  January 5, 2007 at 2:23 PM
Mae said...

Agree with you on the old ladies, Paris Beaverbanks that really freaks me out

THanks Gina for the compliments. You don't look crappy la, your new hair looks nice on you. Want a makeover, got some contacts who can do it?

  January 6, 2007 at 12:06 AM
Anonymous said...

Wow, good on you for supporting natural-ness. Not everyone's born with beauty, and sometimes I wish I could modify myself completely, with surgery or get eyebrow done ups. Think I am too chicken for all that, so too bad for superficial people! :P

  January 6, 2007 at 9:57 AM
Mae said...

Thanks Ms Tan for dropping by. Cosmetic surgery only enhances the outward apprearance, and my biggest fear is that we turn out worst than before. Real beauty comes from within and that I believe makes a person beautiful. Of course we still have the duty to take care and at times pamper our body : )

  January 7, 2007 at 4:31 PM
Anonymous said...

ok listen to someone who had done both - tattoo and embroidery.

i had my eyebrow tattoo many many years back. think it was maybe even 10 years back. the look immediately after the tattoo was indeed terrible... so dark and prominent. that was before the 'scales' dropped off. everybody i met knows i had my eyebrow tattooed. as time goes by, it was not that dark and it was quite ok. as to after many years, it turning greyish or so, er... i didn't really realise but i realised that the eyebrow shape was not there anymore and i had to use eyebrow pencil to draw my eyebrow.

that was until year 2003, when eyebrow embroidery was introduced... i went for it. now comparing tattoo and embroidery, embroidery doesn't make the eyebrow stick out so dark and prominently immediately after you done it. it is lighter but the shape is still there. it's kind of more natural than tattoo lah. (not many people know i had my eyebrow embroidered, unlike when i tattooed it, everybody knows)

i'm glad that i went for eyebrow embroidery because it is relatively painless and it looks natural. and when you feel the shape is out, you can always go back to re-do it, say after 3 or more years. or when you feel the greyishness is showing! :) (though i doubt with embroidery, it won't).

  January 7, 2007 at 9:48 PM
Mae said...

Lucia, looks like you are the authority for eyebrow tattoo and embroidery. I agree with you that embroidery looks much better, but have you seen anyone who has done eyeliner embroidery?

 

Post a Comment