A quick cure for cold

Wednesday, January 3, 2007

"An Echinacea a day, keeps the flu away"

My mother should have been a doctor. She reads up alot on health matters and has from her many visits to the doctors and sinsehs accumulated much knowledge, sometimes she can even tell the doctors what and how much antibiotics to give her. She has a pill or something for everything and until today I still find it amusing when I see the buffet of pills, vitamins and mineral she displays in her medical cabinet. Also, in the garden a variety of plants or herbs for every ailment.

My mother will dispense her medical advise freely, whether you like it or not. One of her most recent "nuggets of gold", Echinacea is a good cure for cold, if you feel that you are about to come down with a flu take one echinacea 3 times a day with a Vit C effervescent, you will not catch the flu.

I like Redoxon effervescent the best. I take one tablet a day with the echinacea.

On the morning of new year's day, I woke up with a runny nose, body ache and a bad headache. I knew the flu was about to greet me very soon. I had so much plans for day, to take my son, Jesse to the park and playground, a family outing to KLCC...all these seemed so impossible.

Then I remembered what my mom told me about achinacea, I took an echinacea that morning and voila by noon the nose dried up and I felt so much better. We had a great time in KLCC and I lasted through dinner and a DVD session with James.

I really hate to admit this but my mother was right this time.

Posted by Mae at 11:43 PM  

7 comments:

January 3, 2007 at 8:42 PM
Anonymous said...

What a mouthful to pronounce..echinacea. Thanks for that!!All moms shud get a bottle..thanks to your mom! Think I'll be getting it...eversince No.1 started school..My nose feels drippy... and it's only the first day!!!! SOBS!

  January 3, 2007 at 11:05 PM
Mae said...

Can understand Mott, it doesn't help when we are all stressed up about school. Glad to be able to help.

  January 4, 2007 at 9:08 AM
RyeUrn said...

echinacea works only when a cold is coming whereas effercescent vitamin C is a good daily supplement to boost the immune system.... still what your mum recommended is a potent combination...no more drowsy side effects of common cold medication

and yeah menthol crystals work well for a blocked nose

  January 4, 2007 at 12:51 PM
Mae said...

That's exactly what my mom said, ryeurn. Will give the menthol crystals a try, hopefully I don't have to.

  January 4, 2007 at 3:29 PM
Anonymous said...

Wah.. sounds like a good "petua". Hehe. Thanks for the tip. For me, it's a packet of refresh and a good night sleep.

  January 5, 2007 at 6:22 PM
Jason Lioh said...

Hello Auntie Mae, don't think you still remember me though. :P

Hehe, gonna grab one of those echinacea, cause I have sinus. :(

  January 5, 2007 at 10:35 PM
Mae said...

I remember you Jason, and I am not that old for you to call me aunty la. If you have sinus, reflexology may help, doubt if echinacea works.

 

Post a Comment